We’ve all heard the “experts” say that we should eat a high fiber diet, but do you actually know what that means? How much fiber should you eat? What foods are good sources of fiber? And most importantly, WHY do you need to eat all this fiber?
Let’s begin with the WHY.
I don’t know about you, but most people need to understand the reason why they are doing something. Especially if it isn’t necessarily fun. So here you go. These are just some of the facts about fiber. If any one of these reasons sounds like something you’d like to do or have, then EAT LOTS OF FIBER!
- Helps with weight loss. If you’re trying to lose weight, fiber is your friend. It will help sweep your digestive tract, as well as help you feel full.
- Reduces the risk of Type 2 Diabetes. Fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels, and helps you maintain a healthy weight – both of which are important to prevent diabetes.
- Reduces the risk of Heart Disease. This is largely due to fibers role in lowering cholesterol (so, yet another “why”).
- Lowers the risk of certain cancers. Eating fiber has been associated with reduced risk of colorectal and breast cancer.
- Maintain Healthy Digestive tract. Fiber, especially the insoluble fiber, sweeps the digestive tract, and helps ensure proper balance of good and bad bacteria in the gut.
- Prevents Constipation.
Okay, so HOW MUCH is enough?
We recommend 25 – 35 grams of fiber per day. And no, we do not want you to drink your fiber in the form of a little powder mixed in your water. Eat your fiber for the best results. You need both soluble and insoluble fiber, but the insoluble is most important for digestive health and satiety.
Finally, WHAT foods are high in fiber?
Avocados, berries, coconut, brussel sprouts, figs, pears, beans, nuts, peas, flax and chia seeds, zucchini, spinach, cabbage, celery, whole grains, apples. . .
So, many foods are high in fiber. And many are delicious. The variety and abundance of options , the great flavors, and the numerous reasons why you need to eat fiber eliminates your excuses. Put the powder down. Eat your fiber, and BE WELL.
-Courtesy of Your Ufit Nutrition Team,
Stay strong. Stay Fit. YOU’RE WORTH IT!
-At Ufit we aim to educate and empower our community. Nutrition is the foundation to your health and fitness. We want you to eat right and move right so you live well, move well and enjoy this life!